Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Travels with my Aunt

Today I went to Shakespeare and Co. to spend a little time in the library upstairs reading. I ended up sitting on a bench in front of a bookshelf of fiction in the section of authors last name beginning with 'G'. After being unable to settle on a book to peruse, I had browsed many titles, and decided that maybe I wanted to write something of my own instead. I ended up making a few poems with two rules:

1.) Each line of the poem must be one book title
2.) I must not add any extra words of my own.

This process feels much like collaging - I like that I am not accountable for the content and simply the arrangement, and since I'm not an experienced poet (or a poet at all, for that matter) it takes the stress out of it and makes me a little less responsible for the outcome. If you look up any of these book titles, you'll find that all the author's last names begin with the letter 'g'. If not - they were badly shelved.


Travels With My Aunt

the past must alter,
travels with my aunt.

spirit of time and place,
limbo,
the glorious adventure.

inclinations, 
for special services.
the promise of joy.

wheels, 
from noon till three,
the giants eye,
corpse in a gilded cage,
under the greenwood tree.



I think I would like to take these weird book title poems and illustrate them in hilarious ways. The poems alone feel a little too humourless...

No comments:

Post a Comment